Arroz Verde (Green Rice)
By Carmen Garcia
Green Rice. Sounds weird but I promise you…this is one strikingly delicious side dish! No dyes and so fresh, so vibrant, so beautiful! Carmen first brought this at a staff lunch and we were all giving each other the same exact face you are making right now. Since tasting it – we ALWAYS make her bring us “The Green Rice”.
Once you try it – you will love it too! Comment and tell us how it turned out for you.
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 package of bacon
- 2-1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed, minced (optional)
- To a blender or food processor, add spinach, garlic, onion, water / stock and salt. Puree until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry over MED heat until crispy. Drain bacon, reserving 1 T bacon grease and set bacon aside.
- Saute rice in bacon grease, stirring often, until it starts to toast and turn golden brown. This will take about 3 minutes or so.
- Pour in pureed mixture, stirring to combine well.
- Increase heat to HIGH to bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to LOW, cover with lid, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir rice once, cover pan again and cook another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let rice sit in the covered pot for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
Check out more Staff Recipes to try and share