April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month
You always hear about breast cancer and cervical cancer, but oral cancer kills and disfigures many more people than either of these. Oral Cancer, which includes the head and neck region, is taking more lives than the cancers we routinely hear about. Oral cancer kills one American per HOUR!
When it comes to identifying potential warning signs of oral cancer, Jeffrey L. Angart, DDS is often the first to notice. He completes this examination at your first appointment, and at your dental hygiene bi-annual checkups, which is another reason on the long list reasons to see us regularly! Jeffrey L. Angart, DDS completes a thorough oral cancer screening by palpating and observing your:
- Head and Neck
- Lymph Chain
- Floor of the Mouth
**BEST OF ALL – Jeffrey L. Angart is providing complimentary Oral Cancer Screenings in April.
WHAT ARE RISK FACTORS?
The most significant factor to reduce the death rate of oral cancer is increased detection and awareness of the disease. THIS IS WHY YOU ARE READING IT, RIGHT?
- Smoking and drinking are the most common risk factors, but that is changing.
- The biggest risk factor now is the sexually transmitted virus called HPV, the same virus that can cause cervical cancer.
- The Oral Cancer Foundation says 40,000 people will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year alone, the majority of those cases will be tied to HPV.
- There is an epidemic of oral cancer among young people, unfortunately, due to oral sex.
- Fastest growing segment of the oral cancer population are non-smokers under the age of fifty.
- High alcohol consumption
- Use of conventional smokeless (chewing/spit) tobacco
- Prolonged exposure to the sun (for lip cancers).
- Oral Cancer Screenings are quick and painless….call today for your Complimentary Exam 614.775.0840